Ah the home office! Friend or Foe? I say F R I E N D. First off, if you have a dedicated space for this in your house-yay you! You are already winning. The trickery comes if you don’t set it up for functionality. The office has to work for you not just make you look functional, otherwise your mess will inevitably end up on your kitchen table or worse….in bed with you!
This is my home office, after a few different layouts I found what works for me. The room is 12×13 and I spent about $2000 on it, or $12.80 per sq ft if you are counting. It was simply decor & styling my vision at a decent price point.
Here I share my Office Edit’s:
- The work flow is #1. Cut down time looking for things. Do you just sit and type? Ok cool, but if you type, print, file some stuff, need coffee every 15, then set yourself up to have all of that handy. In ARM’s length if at all possible. It will cut down on you getting side tracked.
- Desk Dilemma. I Love love love love love cool writing desks. LOVE EM! However it isn’t 1890 and we all have CORDS. Ugly cords and a lot of them. If this will send you bananas like it does me, get a desk that will hide them at least a bit. Yes, you can zap strap them close to legs and run them under rugs etc but they will still be in eyesight. So pick a style that will work with your Desk-losophy or you will be in cord hell.
- Check Yo Lights– Make sure you have ample lighting to work. One overhead might not be enough, task lighting such as a desk lamp will save your eyes and you can find tons of cool ones. Then check your natural light and how it flows in the room. If you have dreamed of your eastern facing desk watching the sun rise as your write your novel you may soon find that the light pours in until 2pm and you can hardly see. Top down bottom up window coverings are a great solution for that!
- Storage Wars. Do you need to hide unsightly files or paperwork? Will it bother you if you have to look at piles of paper? Once you know your comfort level you can build your style out around that.
- If for some reason you are not wired up correctly or don’t have enough juice to run all your devices you should sort that out STAT. You will want your main work station close to the J U I C E.
I like all my needs to be within reach: Pencils, Stapler, Printer, Phone Charger. My chair is an acrylic piece from London Drugs of all places and my desk although not my # 1 choice has a huge built in File cabinet. It is from Staples and was $300.
I love to sit in my chair and have a coffee and read my design books. This chair was a 50% off find at Urban Barn and came in under $300-which is great because it’s main use is as a cat post. The round printed Ottoman has storage inside and is from the same collection as my side table and 2 teal cabinets. The print makes me happy. The huge pouf from Pier 1 to put my feet up on, it was on sale for $120.
Easy DIY Shelves that house favorite memento’s. These are pine and white washed with leftover baseboard paint & installed on some jazzy brackets that are $14 each. I keep my nana’s key chair, a framed Liz Taylor Warhol reproduction and some favorite reads.
I really loved these cases from Target and they were $200 each. They house all my unmentionables (BILLS) and treasured books. I bought glam mirrored frames to make a Gallery Wall and will slowly add to it over the years as memories roll in. These are Pottery Barn, bought on sale for $150 all in.
The side table houses my cards, one of my file folders from Chapters and favorite photo of my niece. Underneath are stacks of Magazines.
My trusty office mate, Boss. This room was painted by the builder and I decided not to change it as it matches the entry way and it would have been more of a racket than I was willing to do at that time so I had a painter paint stripes on a feature wall to add some of my personality. It took her 1 hour and was less than $100 as we used left over baseboard paint. My window is huge, 70 inches wide. So far I have escaped needing a treatment but when it is time I am going for a Roman Shade, girly but elegant. I will start saving for that baby now!
Beside my lap top is a removable tray with all my easy grabs. I also use the tray to bring myself snacks more than I should admit- It came with a matching side table from Target for $140. The pencil holder was a vase from my Wedding. I like things around me to spark happy thoughts. & make me feel good.
These file folders are NINE bucks each! Tons of style and if I need to take one with me for a client I look like I have it all together.
Cheap white boxes house messy bits and these are 2 dollars from Micheal’s.
My Sunday morning spot, complete with the best DKNY cable throw.
My desk top. For a laminate desk the look of the “wood” grain is decent enough to give a quality effect.
Never a shortage of Roses in my house. They remind me of my Nana so to me they will never not be part of my style.
Costco 60$. WIN. It was also the 1st thing we put in ourselves in our home so it makes me smile.
Behr Perfect Taupe
Behr Cloud White
I love my Epson 5530 Printer/Scanner-and it was a wedding gift of all things so yay! It runs around $100
Function meets Style, 2 must have ingredients for a home office